Friday, March 30, 2012

A new neighbor

On March 17th I noticed a pair of cardinals (Mr. and Mrs.) flying from the trees to my backyard fence and then the shrubs around it. They must be real estate shopping to set up their new nest.
I told them to contact my real estate agent friend, Lois, for more info like neighborhood eating places, tree inspection reports, home schooling options, animal crime reports, etc.!!
Then on the 18th the couple had selected a nice location in the red tipped tall shrubs next to the wrought iron fence. The missus started construction on the home. They are building a nice rustic look of sticks instead of logs. Mr. C stayed close by in a crepe myrtle tree and they were discussing the design for most of the day.
On the 21st Mrs. C was still hard at work building this new home for their family. I did notice Mr. C came by and they left together for a while. I do hope he took her for a nice, long lunch.
Then on the 25th there it was!!! A beautiful egg, pale blue with dark spot!!!! Oh, the excitement with my neighbors and myself!!! Plans for a baby-birdie-shower was next!
But it was not to be...on the 26th something had knocked the egg from it's nest and it was broken on the ground. I don't know where Mrs. C had been and why she wasn't more protective of this egg. But then I don't know the Mr. and Mrs.'s home habitation situation either so I will not judge her.
She has flown back to check the nest out several times, as has the Dad. And they both tweet their sorrow sadly. They stayed close by in a tree for a couple of days just tweeting.
So sad. Sometimes Mother Nature's plans are harsh! And now I find myself thinking unkind thoughts of that crazy blue jay that buzzes by now and then!

No comments:

Post a Comment